Saturday, May 17, 2014

#Miles4Change Update

So its been four months since I decreed my goal for my fundraiser #miles4change. Here's an update on what has occurred:

I was supposed to run a 5K a month leading up to the 37th Annual Cooper River Bridge Run 10K taking place in historical Charleston, SC. Well, I did not participate in running any 5Ks, but did run/walk the Bridge Run on April 5, 2014 and received my first three donations towards the fundraiser.

I was amazed at how "wings" on my feet and head started so many conversations during the Bridge Run.
To date, #miles4change has collected enough donations to help two survivors, one survivor for one year and a second survivor for 6 months through the A21 Campaign's monthly partnership plan. As more donations come in, I am more determined to get serious about training and preparing for races. As I continue to read updates and articles, I realize that this cause is worth pushing beyond my comfort zone.

Since those who are trapped in human trafficking are impacted physically, emotionally, and mentally in a negative way. I chose running and fitness because those are both activities that impact you physically, emotionally, and mentally in a positive way. Each workout, each run is a reminder that someone else is somewhere else engaged in the fight for their life. They are pushing through their pain to live, I can push through my pain to help.

I've created my SMART goal for my fundraiser:

Specific: I want to raise $5,040 to help 20 survivors of humantrafficking for 1 year through the A21 Campaign's $21 monthly partnership.

Moderate: Only focusing on fitness and running

Achievable: Complete workouts and run races

Recordable: I will keep up with minutes I work out and miles I run and campaign for donations to sponsor my activities

Time: By November 30, 2014 I want to achieve my goal

 

So far I've enlisted the aid of the apps "5K Runner" and the free version of "FitStar" to help me meet my goal as I prepare to run races to bring awareness to human trafficking. I am also taking on the "100 Squat Challenge" from FitnessBlender.com. Yes, it just got real!

I will also be updating my progress on this blog as I go along. I am determined to see this goal through and to be a voice for those who have had theirs silenced. #Miles4Change will be working to fight and bring awareness to human trafficking one mile at a time.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment