Thursday, August 1, 2013

Great Leaders Lead By Example

Today we throw the term “leader” around quite haphazardly. Some who have been bestowed this honorabletitle actually haven’t yet paid the dues to deserve it. If you have no clue what I am talking about or names/faces started flashing in your mind then you definitely should read on.

Leaders are people who realize that the best way to lead is by example. Whatever yourexpectations are for your team, comes from your experience in achieving that milestone and your persistence in making it to the next level. Take teaching for example. I encouraged students for years to read and write through their summer break. I preached on why it was important and encouraged them to continue to hone and develop those skills even during their vacation time. If they wanted to continue to advance and be ready for the next school year they couldn't lose ground. Summer was not an excuse to slack off!

Anyone who has visited my room would say I was a good teacher, dedicated to my job and the students entrusted to me, but I knew I wasn't always leading by example. In order to do that I had to think how much extra reading and writing did I do over the summer? I motivated them to keep improving, but what other areas have I pursued to continue to improve my skills? I’m not talking about mandatory meetings that I attend through the summer, but instead stretching out beyond what is required to achieve what is desired. How much of my personal time was I investing during the summer into being a better reader and writer?

 

In 2010, realizing I must become a better leader and lead by example my blogging came into fruition. I started off blogging about something I loved, NFL football . I started Sporty’s World simply by writing my reactions to games played by my team the New York Football Giants. Then I branched out to writing about experiences I was having while teaching in my blog Teaching Gems. I later wanted an area where I could write about life in general which is how Radical Road Warriors was birthed.

 

Last summer I participated in Teachers Write, a summer writing opportunity created by different children/YA authors in collaboration with children's book author Kate Messner. This summer my focus was on increasing the number of novels I read. Ones suggested by students, or online, and ones my family members with summer projects had to read. There was no monetary compensation for any of these activities and I didn’t do it because I had to, but because I wanted to experience reading and writing like I was encouraging my students to do. I was stretching professionally, just as I encouraged them to stretch academically.

 

The point I’m making is, I realized the importance of making sure my expectations for my students were genuine ones. If a child was to ask me if I read or wrote anything over the summer when they saw me in the fall, I should be able to say yes and in this digital day and age direct them to my hard evidence. The same expectations I hold them to are the ones I’m meeting and exceeding every day. Great leaders lead by example and my goal is to be great!

 

Which brings me back to the point that sometimes we are crowned as leaders prematurely. Leaders understand the need for growth and know their strengths and weaknesses. They also are able to help others figure theirs out. Leaders are decisive and believe in counting all costs before making decisions. Leaders are responsible and reliable realizing they need you as much as you need them. They want you to know that you can count on them as much as they have faith that they can count on you. Leaders acknowledge that every voice is of equal importance. The role of leader does not make them the sole authority. They maybe the final authority, but they weigh in based on the teams input. Last but not least, leaders always put the needs of the team ahead of everything else. With a leader, it is always about how can I make my team better, not how can I get more recognition. Basically great leaders realize that if you lead them, by example, they will come!

 

Being labeled as a leader in any area of life is an extreme privilege; yet it is also a great responsibility. So whether you are the leader of a little or a lot, the best way to lead is to hold yourself to the same expectations you hold the people around you to. That's how leadership goes from good to great! You would be surprised at how hungry those around you become when they see the fruits of your success and know they can achieve the same by following in your steps. How well do you lead?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment