Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Relationship Web

I absolutely love seeing comments on the internet that single people have no right to talk about relationships. I mean how could someone who is not in a committed relationship even comment on how to have a good relationship. Of course I am being sarcastic. People seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to relationships. It’s constantly defined as a bond between a loved and his/her beloved. That’s still not clear. It’s constantly defined as two strangers who come together and overcome the challenges of two becoming one in mind, body, soul, and spirit. Honestly that’s only one of the many relationships you will experience in life, and yes, a single person would not be able to comment or give advice on that union.

 On the other hand there are many other relationships that we become involved in before the “coupe de gras”.  One thing this single person has learned is that preparation for the union to my beloved is practiced through the unions I create every day with the people around me. From my God, to my family, to my coworkers, to my boss, I am intertwined in various relationships that function in very distinct areas on very different levels. Each relationship has taught me a lesson about being connected to others.

So here are five things I’ve learned about being a good” partner” in any relationship I am involved in:


  1.        No turtling, mark your bounds: There will be situations that will arise and cause you to want to tuck your head into your shell and carry on, but that is not the answer. Relationships get messy, whether it’s a family member that lets you down or a coworker that you thought could be trusted and proved otherwise. Relationships call for us to create boundaries and to hold people accountable for how they enter and conduct themselves in our lives. People can only do what we allow them to do in our zone. Sometimes the people you think should mean you the best behave the worse. At that time confrontation is healthy and needed. Now confrontation is not turning over tables and a having a shouting match, that’s anger. When you confront someone you are letting them know that they are out of bounds. Think about an NFL ref who is calling a penalty on a play. He doesn’t follow the player yelling and screaming. He throws the flag, signals the penalty, gives the consequence, and carries on.
  2.       Stand up and stand out:  You cannot get into any relationship without knowing who you are. This is true for every relationship you get involved in from family to strangers. You cannot allow anyone to define you, you must define yourself. Don’t live like a chameleon, camouflaged by the situation and people who you are around. Know who you are and do not be afraid to let others know it also. Those who mean you well will stay and play those who do not will simply go away. Well, they’ll go away once they realize you will not change.
  3.        Don’t be as dependable as a broken foot: My grandmother broke her ankle right after Mother’s Day and had to wear a cast. In order to get around she needed a walker and later crutches. In order to help her, my uncles had to lift her weight to move her around. Imagine if they leaned on her in that condition! Yet there are people who lean on people who are broken (irresponsible) and get frustrated when they both fall. Relationships are built on trust and if you are as “dependable as a broken foot” your relationship will not last. Basically that means you can’t carry your own weight. If you can’t help yourself, what good can you be to me? If I can’t carry my weight, what good can I be to you?  Let’s face it, we need each other. We were created for relationships and the burning question is, can I count on you?
  4.        Communication is the key: From the office to the palace (your home), communication is key. We all have been blessed with unbelievable talents, but mind reading isn’t one of them. We have to learn to open up and speak our minds, but we also need to remember the lesson taught long ago, “It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.” We have to learn to speak the truth in love, because honey is so much sweeter than vinegar!  When you communicate openly with others you give them the green light to communicate openly with you. I may not like everything you say, but I respect you enough to hear you out. If that does not scream connection, I don’t know what does.
  5.       Be a visionary: Every relationship from the ones you form on the job to the ones you create in your home are always seeking that next level or “what do we do next”? My youngest nephew constantly asks that question when he’s with me before we start our day. “Tia, what are we going to do? “, is what he sings first thing when he sees me in the morning. Days I have a plan, I can map out our events, but those days when I am clueless regarding what I want to do that little song irritates me. Normally I retort, “You’ll see, because I honestly have no clue.  This goes to show that a clear vision gives an answer, no vision speaks out of frustration. Map out expectations you have for various facets of your life. On your job, be a visionary, there is a direction you want to go in and that’s your vehicle to get there. In your home, be a visionary, there is an order you want to create and it will benefit everyone under your roof. In your marriage, be a visionary, because the two of you have become one and the vision keeps you focused. But let me fall back, because single folks know nothing about applying things to a marriage. Then again when you’ve seen what hasn’t work, you kind of figure out what might be missing… but I digress.

We are involved in various relationships, intertwined like a spider web. If we all look at our roles in these relationships that are not going well, we can see what is needed to get it back on track. But first we have to be honest and realize that a relationship is a two way street. If I think you’re falling short, than there are areas that I maybe falling short too.

We were created to connect one to another and even though we live in the “Digital Age” connected by the worldwide web, we have to remember that the most important connections are the ones we come into contact with face to face every day.  What we want from people are the same things we should be willing to give. Does your web need to be updated or do you need to upgrade it?

6 comments:

  1. I love that you chose to write about this topic. I didn't meet my husband until I was in my thirties and have only been married about 2 1/2 years. Before that I learned that if I offered any comment at all regarding relationships in a room of married people I was instantly going to become a target. And not surprisingly, when I did get married pretty much all of my thoughts and impressions of "long term relationships" were just as true for marriage as they were for other relationships. I think your assertion that ALL relationships are in fact REAL relationships is spot on, as are all five of the points you've discussed. Thank you for writing about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed the same thing when it came to giving opinions as a single. It really made me think about how was it so different. Someone selfish as a single ends up being selfish in marriage. You can only "pretend" for so long before you go back to your norm. Thanks for reading and confirming that there is truth to it!

      Delete
    2. Relationships can be as complex as the spider web analogy you offered in your previous post. Becoming intertwined with others can be rewarding or it can be a tremendous hazard. We've spoken on several occasions about the importance of nurturing the "self" and the benefits of teaching individuals beginning at the childhood stage to love, care for, and most importantly, recognize another person who is for the most part "whole." Great blog.

      Delete
    3. So true! Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. You have nailed it!!!! The so called "norm" these days for relationships is to jump in the sack on the first date. The simple act of communicating to get to know each other to find out if the union will work or not gets pushed aside for the over sensationalized act of sex. You are right! We need to get back to the basics. I heard Bishop T.D. Jakes say in his I Do Marriage Counseling segment that if couples don't learn to communicate with each other they will have to do it in front of a marriage counselor. If they don't learn to do it there they will have it done for them by lawyers and a judge. Counselors, lawyers, and judges have to be paid and it ain't cheap. He said that couples could have use that same money to go to Hawaii or some other dream destination if they had worked on their communication.

    P. Buck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Communication is important to every relationship and should be stressed before and beyond the dating years. Some singles are so focused on sex that they totally ignore every other aspect of a romantic relationship then end up suffering because of it. Just like you said we need to go back to the basics learning how to bring something to a relationship beyond physical stimulation. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete