Saturday, April 18, 2015

Lessons Learned From Running 13.1 Part I

I finished my very first half-marathon on Sunday, April 12, 2015! It was the Divas Half Marathon and 5K in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. In 2012 I created a New Years resolution stating that I would train to run a half-marathon to help bring awareness to human trafficking. Needless to say it remained a written goal, but not the beginning of a journey. Instead I foused on the legislative side of human trafficking contacting senators and representatives regarding issues that were arising and legislation in the wings. It was a good thing, but not everything.

In 2013 and 2014 the same resolution arose, but by 2014 I was determined to see it through. I began to train and extend my miles. I downloaded Map My Fitness and started looking for challenges. By the end of May I was running consistently more consistently into June, by July I was nursing an injury! I still have no clue how it happened, I believe it was truly too much, too soon.

 

My injury was going to be my excuse to stop, I mean I did try! Was it my fault my ankles cried mercy? Luckily I didn't and found a running community online that made running the most amazing sport ever, second only to football! I learned a lot as I stretched my body and mind to take on this journey and just wanted to share a few things. I love blogs that take me not just through a race, but inside the runner's mind! I'm about to allow you to journey into mind...

LESSON #1: You must first believe it to see it!

When 2015 rolled in I was very nervous, but determined to run a half marathon. Did I mention 13 miles was a ridiculous distance that I in no way believed I could run? Did I also mention that training was sporadic because of my job strong ability to procrastinate? I started participating in #Runchat on Twitter and reading running blogs. I had subscribed to Women's Running in 2012, but started to pay more attention to the articles detailing women of all ages and their various motivations for running. Even two of my coworkers had run a half marathon and finished strong; finishing is finishing strong!

The more I read, chatted online, and talked to my coworkers in the real world. The easier it became to see myself running and finishing a half marathon. It still seemed ridiculously far fetch, but there stories of triumph was a motivation for me, along with them stirring up in me the idea that I could do it too! I also thought about my cause that I was running to bring awareness to and the story that broke my heart and pushed me to look for a way to help raise awareness about human trafficking. I finally began to see beyond my abilities (3 miles; then 6 miles) into my possible capabilities (13.1). Once you believe it, you will be determined to make sure you see it!

LESSON #2: Know thine own body for thyself.

My training did not follow any particular training plan. I started with the Nike+ Running Half-Marathon plan, after I half completed the Couch to 5K (2014) after I restarted my Asics running plan(2014) many times over; yes, runs were sporadic and I always ended up waiting for Saturday to run for the week! Yikes!! I'm just being truthful.

The amount of runs are shameful, but each run felt right! 9 runs before the Cooper River Bridge Run (3/28) and 10 runs before the Diva Half-Marathon and 5K (4/12).

Did I mention that my runs were sporadic? What I did notice was each time I pushed towards a longer run on Saturdays, it didn't feel like a strain. The longest stretch I accomplished was 8 miles and when I needed to walk I walked, when I felt I could trot, I trotted, and when it was time to run I ran. I let my body dictate my pace and my maneuvers, and as I said before, it felt right! I was more impress with my respiratory system than my legs! As I went into my half I still had not run/trotted/walked the complete 13 miles in practice. That did make me a little nervous, but I thought back to the fact that as I extended miles from 3 to 6 I also didn't have lots of runs in between, I just did it and payed attention to my body's response. "To thine own self be true."

LESSON 3: You don't NEED music to train/race!

For the runs I completed in my neighborhood I never, rarely, stopped wearing earbuds. Part of the reason was never finding earbuds with a good fit, the other part was the instinct to two-step when particular songs came into rotation. The majority of my practice runs were without music and I never participated in a race with earbuds. Other than the fact that you hear your surroundings, not being plugged in gave me the opportunity to think and to pray. It also gave me an opportunity to hear nature and all its glory or things that needed to be avoided! You know the random pup that wants to show his/her owner that he/she is a big dog now! Gotta love 'em! What I enjoyed about the Bridge Run and Diva Half was the fact that I could think, pray, and respond to other runners as I was running.Goodness knows I have a one track mind, if I'm listening to music, let me stay in my zone, don't bother me! So being unplugged opened me up to being sociable and "humanly".

LESSON 4: The internet is amazing!!!

The internet is a two edged sword, it can be the best thing since sliced bread, or the worse thing since 21st century tv. Come on now, don't pretend you don't wish that sometimes everybody else's dysfunctional behaviors didn't have to be broadcasted for the world to watch and be entertained by...but that's a blog for another day. I knew nothing about North Myrtle Beach, other than it's up the road from Charleston, SC. All my major traveling excursions found me in the backseat snacking and napping. Now I would be the driver figuring things out and the planner finding things to do and a place to stay. This is where TripAdvisor and my sister came in handy! I found Best Western on South Ocean Blvd. that gave me a deal I could feel when I booked through TripAdvisor. I booked an oceanfront room in the South Tower. I also got an educator's discount!! Ch-Ching!

After booking I used Google maps and found out the place I needed to pick up my race packet was 3 minutes away and the race start was on the opposite end of the street, 2.5 miles away! Every thing else worked it's way out with my sister using her phone to find restaraunts and directions. AMAZING! I can race anywhere in the world and move around like I know where I am and what I'm doing. I did a review on Best Western on TripAdvisor. We really enjoyed our stay and oceanfront access for a fraction of what others wanted. Lesson planning looking over the ocean is a beautiful thing...yes, Sunday night after running that morning I was happily working on lesson plans! I'm telling you it must be the salt air, or the sounds of the waves!

LESSON 4: You have to breathe!

I was very nervous about stretching to 13 miles on race day! Now I was more worried about could my legs make it then anything else at thus point. I was tempted to get in some runs leading up to race day, but I was reminded how the Saturday I went 7 miles, I struggled a few days later to run 5! My legs were not rested and ready! So I didn't train at all approaching the half marathon thanks to a 15 day stretch were my job procrastination set in!

At the starting line I placed myself in the last paced group which was over 14:00 per mile or more. All runners were together, 5K and half, and you chose your pace area. They then called 5K runners forward and they began to walk towards the starting line, leaving half marathoners to stand in the midst or move to the sides.

I was not trying to get trampled

I did end up closer to the front because I was moving with the 5K runners towards the start before I realized they were moving to the start! I then two stepped moved to the sidelines and grooved to Pharrel's "Happy" which was bumping in the background. I was ready to go! When half-marathoners were getting ready to start I was anxious and excited. The song we got was not as upbeat as "Happy" but as we started, my mile 1 chant played in my head, "my race, my pace". A coach running with another runner reminded her to pace herself because she had 12+ miles to go and would meet the "rabbits" in later miles. I called them rabbits, not him. But it is true! You have to know your body and run your race.

There were a few people around me as we approached mile 4 breathing heavily. I wanted to turn and tell them "in your nose, slowly out your mouth" which is what I would tell my mom as she walked long distances and what I had to remind myself in training and during races. I didn't because I didn't want to offend. As we passed through neighborhoods I called out good morning to people who had gathered with signs. Talking as I ran reminded me to keep my pace because I listened to what I sounded like. All my greetings were natural, none were heavily raspy. I remember reading somewhere that you should be able to speak as you distance run if your pace is truly your pace. As I said earlier, I was very impressed with my respiratory system! Go team me!!! So whether your training or racing, don't forget to pace yourself and breathe.

LESSON 5: It's "me" against "me"!

I am really competitive! I thought it was just in football, but now I see it's in anything, especially when I relate it back to football! For example, when I was nominated for my school's Teacher of the Year I was very grateful, humbled, and honored. When I saw the two other coworkers I was running against, I didn't see them, I saw football allegiances; Giants v/s Eagles v/s Steelers. Lord knows the Giants past season was heartbreaking, so I needed this win for a football boost! I got it and experienced a post season NFL high! Sick, I know, but true! That competitive spirit is hard to break, so you have to know how to harness it.

I normally run solo, so to be in a group with runners of all abilities is fascinating and intimidating! I want to be number one!!!! Of course as sporadically as I trained that wasn't about to happen, so I needed to focus on my true competition, the "me" in the training v/s the "me" on race day. As people began to pass me I was determined to turn up the speed, then I was reminded to run my race, my pace. Anytime I felt inclined to compete against another runner, I chanted in my head or under my breath, "my race, my pace"! Needless to say the "me" on race day trumped the "me" in my last training. In the Bridge Run I ran the 10K in 1:16, fifteen days later in this run I ran it in 1:10 AND kept running! Go team me!!! Try to better your best, not anyone else!

LESSON 6: Fuel up the way you know to fuel up!

I love carbs! Every last one you could name from bread to rice to pasta to bread...I love carbs; and bread, lots and lots of bread! Did I mention bread? I think you get the jist! I always have, so when I think back it makes sense that I would one day pick distance running back up. All that stuff needs an outlet!

Thursday I started my carbs overload. I know, I know there are blogs that say that you don't need to overload, eat regular portions and you don't need lots of carbs, proteins are good too. But did I tell you I love carbs and any excuse to eat a whole lot of it? So, from Friday to Saturday night it was on and popping!!

Left top: Dominos breaded pasta bowls; right top: McDonald's; bottom left: Olive Garden salad and breadsticks; bottom right: Olive Garden Chicken Alfredo

Race morning I didn't eat anything, nor did I have any chews or extra water. I never eat before I run, even in what I call training training. I did stop at every water station on the course as I ran my half marathon. It was a welcomed excuse to stop running and walk for a minute while I drank. I drank water, not Gatorade because I normally don't drink that when training. Know your body and it's limitations because even when fueling up, to thine ownself you must be true!

These are just a few things I learned as I participated in my first half marathon. I'll get more into the race lessons in part II. What are some lessons you've learned from stretching your distance regardless what it is or from your race days?

Disclaimer: Things I am sharing are not all things I encourage to be emulated, but are true to who I am as a runner right now and I hope that others who are beginning to run search for your truths! But do make sure you run your race, your pace and breathe; if nothing else run your pace and breathe...Happy Running!!!

 

My race shirt for the Divas Half Marathon and 5K North Myrtle Beach, SC 4/12/15

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment