Thursday, July 17, 2014

#Miles4Change June Check Up

I am amazed at how quickly summer is flying by! Unfortunately during the first week of June I had to contest with an injury to my left ankle. Which I insanely naively continued to run on, leading to issues with my right ankle. So I spent most of June with the R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) method in full rotation. I still have no clue what I did to injure my ankle. The only thing I can come up with is I must have rolled it after jogging up on the curb trying to avoid oncoming traffick.

My three essentials as I nursed my ankles back to health.

After a week I could barely walk, let alone run! Of course this was the period in time when my mother along with my niece and nephews were taunting me very excited about getting out to walk and jog around the neighborhood consistently. They didn't do that when I was healthy and ready to roll; no pun intended. Needless to say if it wasn't for #miles4change my weak ankles would've been the end of my running story. It would've been my legitimate excuse to stop and go back to my occasional fitness practices. Since my running is tied to my cause, I definitely couldn't let it just fall by the wayside.

Before Memorial Day I signed up for the Runners World Run Streak Challenge, #RWRunStreak, which I was not able to complete thanks to my injury. The goal was to run a total of at least 40 miles over a timespan of 40 days leading up to the 4th of July. My longest streak was 3 days and I finished with 23 of my 40 attempted miles. Still ended up in a pretty decent percentage over all.

I really wanted to get my 40 miles, but my ankes wouldn't cooperate!

I used Map My Fitness to log all my activities for the month using FitStar and Fitness Blender's stretch and workout routines. I will be adjusting some of the workouts because they incorporate quite a few yoga routines or either I'll replace the yoga with other exercises. I haven't truly figured it out yet. My total workouts below represent from the end of May, when I started using Map My Fitness, through June.

I absolutely love having everything recorded in one place.

Taking into consideration that I normally work out once in awhile, my stats for June were pretty good even considering my ankle issues. We're presently in the middle of July and my goal is to double my workout time and get more miles logged in as my ankles continue to heal and strengthen. I have a cause to bring awareness to and to raise money towards; so there is no time for slowing down or slacking off, which I feel myself beginning to do. Refocusing and pushing forward to help bring awareness and change.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment